Teaching and learning online: a beginner's guide to eLearning and eTeaching in higher education was a more accessible reading. It provided a starting place for inquiry. This article provides a (relatively) quick overview of online learning; online learning, learning tasks, learning resources, supports, designs, design and development strategies. As the title implies, the article would be an appropriate resource for those beginning to teach or design in eLearning environments. Overall clear, succinct definitions and descriptions of various eLearning strategies as were given as related to best practices and educational theory.

Parts that I appreciated:
Description of Vygotsky's theory as it relates to Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD). This was as clear a description as I had heard of the ZPD (never having studied Vygotsky's theories directly myself). The part that helped me was, "The ZPD is regarded as the point on (a) continuum where learning supports provided by teachers peers or the resources themselves, help move learners from the zone of actual development to the ZPD....(including) any teaching or learning strategies which help the learner master the requirements of the learning situation." (p.67) An emphasis throughout the article was making sure that instructors and designers are providing supports in developing eLearning, by setting learning expectations, planning appropriate learning tasks and providing all important learning resources.
Another helpful place in this resource (scaffolding moment!) was the authors presentation of "learning designs and objects" up through their presentation of "metadata" usage. "Contemporary online learning development is moving away from ...pages of electronic text, to more deliberately planned learning designs, learning tasks and processes...."(p.99) It was interesting to read that the development of reusable learning objects was one goal in the development of learning objects. I wondered, how does this fit with the idea that the most effective learning takes place in contextual (therefore specific) evironments? It would seem there is some tension there.
Finally, the "metadata" section clarified for me what SCORM is. I had not realized SCORM was part of a larger movement with various organizations working to define metadata standards. Likening this drive towards developing metadata standards to the indexing that occurs in libraries helped clarify for me the objective of the movement. It was also enlightening to see examples of the metadata in headers. A light went on for me as I have seen some of these. Not so elaborate as the examples shown in the reading, but it made more sense. I appreciated the examples on pages 108-109.

2 comments:
I'm glad you were brave enough to skip the junk in the Meta analysis article. I wish I would have done the same I would have been less disappointed in the end result.
Some additional info around SCORM:
SCORM is a military communication protocol used in many Learning management systems. Most LMS's use SCORM 1.2 and many are attempting to SCORM 2004. At this point no one has really got it right. If SCORM 2004 is successfully implemented then you will be able to do true adaptive learning. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORM
Thanks Greg. I don't know why I find SCORM a little allusive still as a concept. I found a link http://www.scorm.com/resources/oneminuteoverview/OneMinuteOverview.htm -- looked like SCROM for my level! But, it seems to go beyond the metadata to how the content/LO is presented and plugs into the LMS being used. I'd like to be able to see how this works in practice - to clear up my vague understandings.
Post a Comment